Regrettably, I am not currently taking on new clients this year as I am at capacity. I will be taking on new clients from the beginning of February 2020.
Professional, ethical and competent practice - whether you require comprehensive assessment and treatment, or an opportunity to consider old problems in a new way.
Every psychologist gradually develops over time areas of special interest or expertise. Below is the work I like to do. However, feel free to give me a call and I will be happy to talk with you about your concerns and what you need, and whether I am the right person to help you.
Assessment of children (2 - 12)
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Cognitive differences (intellectual disability, giftedness)
- Behavioural problems
- Emotional difficulties (anger, anxiety, sadness)
A good assessment of your child may involve psychometric testing, observation of them in other settings (eg school/home), and talking with others involved in their life eg teachers, relatives. After an initial consult with you, we can discuss how I can best obtain the information I need to get a good understanding of what is going on for your child and how we can best help.
Assessment of adults
- Expertise in the assessment of autism spectrum disorder
- Assessment and formulation (psychological explanation for behaviour, where it started and what maintains it) of emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Diagnosis if applicable of all psychological disorders
- Psychometric assessment (eg. cognitive ability, ADHD).
- Emotional and behavioural difficulties such as anxiety, avoidance, depression, low self-esteem, addictive behaviours, anger, and loss.
- Essentially, for when you are struggling with your feelings and getting stuck or off track with unhelpful thoughts and behaviours.
- For those affected by others with personality disorders/mental illness
- Parenting advice/strategies and behaviour plans
- Cognitive and psychological reports that may be necessary to access to funding and services
- Immigration-related reports
Liaison and Referrals
- Liaison with others eg agencies, schools, GP, family members
- Referrals to other agencies, such as Life Unlimited (needs assessment agency), the DHB, GPs, psychiatrists.
- Referral to other psychologists or counsellors if indicated
WHAT I DON'T DO:
- work with teenagers - "Adolescence is a foreign country; they do things differently there"! Some people really have a knack for that age-group - I don't, and I think working to your strengths is important.
- learning assessments - more fine-grained analysis than IQ, identification of specific learning disabilities such as dyslexia. This is a specialised area, and I recommend you seek out a psychologist experienced in this, or an educational psychologist.
- ACC work, sensitive claims etc. I am not ACC registered.
- s133 or s178 reports for the Family Court.